Information about English
The English at Hello-World is American English.
- There are about 375 million people who speak English as their native language.
- Including people who speak English as a second language, there are over 470 million English speakers.
- English is the third most common native language in the world. (Mandarin and Spanish are the first two.)
- English is the most important language in the world. It is required in many fields such as government, tourism, science and technology.
- English has borrowed words from many languages. These borrowed words sometimes keep the spelling from the original language. That is one of the reasons why many students think English is hard to spell.